Prescription drug abuse and misuse is on the rise in Colorado and throughout the United States. It is important that you take action to ensure that your medicines are kept in a safe place, and that your child knows the dangers of misusing a drug that is not prescribed to them.
Stats and Facts:
- 10% of Denver Public School Students reported having used prescription drugs without a prescription (HKCS, 2015).
- The average age of first use is 13 years old (HKCS, 2015).
- 66% of people misusing prescription drugs obtained them from a friend or relative (SAMHSA).
- 80% of heroin users start with a prescription opioid (SAMHSA).
Tips to Help you Store your Meds Safely
- Consider products you might not think about; such as medicines for your pets and over the counter medicines.
- Monitor your medicine use. Keep an updated list of all prescription medicine in your home. Take an inventory at least twice a year — when clocks ‘spring’ forward in the spring and ‘fall’ back in autumn. You can also use this time to dispose of any medicines that you no longer need.
- Ask your pharmacist if any of the medicine you have been prescribed may have the potential for abuse.
- Do not share prescription medicine. Healthcare professionals prescribe specific medicine for individuals based on personal medical histories and other health factors. A medicine that works for one person may cause harm—even death—to someone else, even if symptoms are similar.
For information on how to keep your medicines safe visit: https://www.denveryouthsuccess.org/safe-storage
More in this category: My Life My Quit Program Addresses Youth Vaping » Let’s keep kids away from marijuana at 420 festival » Building Meaningful Connections This Holiday Season » Vaping and Health » International Overdose Awareness Day » Hosting Alcohol Free Teen Parties » Cyberbullying » Cultivating your child’s passion » Juuling: The latest dangerous trend among teens » Talking With Your Child About Marijuana and Other Drugs » The Effects of Early Marijuana Use and How to Talk About it » What do you do when a friend needs help? » Name Our Mascot Contest » The Importance of Positive Assets » Marijuana and the Teen Brain » Just Breathe » World Book Day » Talking to Your Kids about Alcohol, Marijuana, and Other Drugs » Alternative Activities Good Tool for Preventing Substance Use » Risk and Protective Factors Important in Preventing Drug and Alcohol Use » All It Takes is YOU to Make a Difference » Relationship Between Trauma and Substance Abuse » This Holiday Season, Volunteer as a Family, and Grow as a Family! » Last Minute Family Day Ideas and Resources » Grand Traditions and Family Meals » Bring your daughter, mother, or a friend… » Come and Get It! » Get Social at the Denver Family Day Facebook Page! » Start Planning Your Family Day Menu Now! » Safe Summer 2013 Resource Fair » Denver’s Safe Summer Kickoff Keeps Getting More Awesome » Safe Summer 2013 Is Almost Here! » Who are the 85? » The First d-RAP Infographic Is Here! » What to Do When Your Child Is the Bully » An Update From DPS on the Jessica Ridgeway Story » Staying Safe at School » What to Do if Your Child is Bullied » Sponsoring an Above the Influence “Tag It,” Event » Celebrate the Power of Prevention on Above the Influence Day! » Talking to Your Kids About Peer Pressure » RX Abuse » Get Ready to Celebrate Family Day on September 24th, 2012 » Welcome to the new d-RAP Website and blog. »